The decision to end a marriage is a major one that deserves ample consideration. In recent years, the divorce rate in the U.S. has spiked, especially because of the establishment of the no fault divorce. Before the 1970s, U.S. couples in most states could only legally file for divorce if they claimed that the other spouse was guilty of a crime or affront like abandonment or adultery. Uncontested divorces could sometimes be arranged, but for the most part, divorce could only come with serious actions destroying a marriage.
Throughout history, marriage and divorce have been the subject of many laws and social expectations. Aristotle set the prime of life at 37 for men and 18 for women, but the 7th century Visigoths placed it at 20 for both sexes. It was socially expected that people would be married by that age. Today, the average age for those getting married for the first time is much higher, but so is the divorce rate. Presumably, that’s because many countries outlawed it until very recently. It became legal in Italy in 1970, in Portugal in 1975, in Spain in 1981, in Ireland in 1996, and in Malta in 2011. Most countries require the sanction of a court for a divorce.
In the U.S., many couples opt to find a divorce attorney, with some seeking specifics like a divorce attorney for men only or a divorce attorney for women only. Regardless of your personal criteria, sorting through divorce lawyers in arizona to find a good divorce attorney is not necessarily simple. Here, we’ll look at the process of choosing a divorce attorney for women.
- Consider whether you really need a divorce attorney. Ninety percent of divorces in the U.S. are settled out of court, using a mediator. If your divorce is relatively amicable, you may not really need to pursue the process.
- Give yourself some time. Agree with your spouse not to take any steps affecting either of your financial situations without giving the other person notice and reasonable time to respond. This will allow you to take your time looking for a divorce attorney for women and will give you some peace of mind during the process.
- Familiarize yourself with Arizona divorce laws online. This will make your search process and your divorce much simpler.
- Decide what type of attorney you want. Each divorce attorney for women is different. Do you want an aggressive attorney who will fight to get all the things on your list or one who will simply file paperwork and manage the process?
- Get recommendations. Call the state bar association and talk to friends and family. You’ll want to choose a divorce attorney for women who comes highly recommended.
- Conduct interviews. You should talk with at least three attorneys before making a decision.
The divorce process is always a little scary, but the right divorce attorney for women can help. Be sure to do your research and choose one who you know you can trust.