If you own a home with a chimney, then you probably already know that you need to clean a chimney at least once a year to keep your home safe from fires. What you might not have know is that you can invest in chimney flue liners and steel chimney liners as an additional line of protection against fire. Here are a few more facts that you should know about chimneys in general.
1. Did you know that the tallest freestanding brick chimney in the world is the Anaconda Smelter Stack in Montana? It measures an astounding 585 feet tall. Imagine trying to get that chimney cleaned every year.
2. Though the tallest freestanding chimney is located in Montana, the tallest attached chimney in the world is part of the GRES2 Power Station in Kazakhstan. It is almost three times as tall as the Anaconda Smelter Stack at 1378 feet high. The process to clean a chimney like that must be difficult and very dangerous.
3. Chimney liners and other chimney accessories like chimney caps can help improve the energy efficiency of your home and enable greener living. Each of these accessories also helps to reduce the chance of a fire occurring in your chimney.
4. Historically in the United Kingdom, it is considered lucky for a bride to see a chimney sweep on her wedding day. Though there is not a whole lot of evidence that this is still a practice in the modern era.
5. Did you know that if a chimney is not properly cleaned, the resulting fires can burn at over 2,000 degrees? Not only is it important to keep your chimney clean through out the year, it is also important to invest in other measures like chimney liners to ensure that your home is as safe from a chimney fire as possible.